2022 Owl Award Susan van der Hoek
The Red Deer River Naturalists are pleased to present the 2022 Owl Award to Susan van der Hoek. Susan has been actively involved with RDRN on so many fronts, with many of her contributions being “behind the scenes”.
We thank Susan for her tireless efforts on behalf of the RDRN.
- Director on the Board from August 2016 to February 2019
- Secretary on the Board from February 2019 to January 2021
- She kindly volunteered to act as Recording Secretary in the fall of 2022 for two board meetings
- Was the very able coffee coordinator from October 2016 to January 2020, when in person meetings were halted due to Covid
- From September 2016 to March 2019,handled the newsletter and poster pick up, stuffed envelopes for mailing, then returned the newsletters to the city for mailing
- In the spring of 2018, assisted with the map updates and editing, with Doug Pedersen and Judy Boyd, of the Central Alberta Birding Trail guide.
- Became an Administrator of our Facebook/Twitter accounts in October 2014 and created the Instagram account in 2020. She works tirelessly to post all events, monitor traffic every day, ban spammers and post interesting articles.
- In February 2017, became our Webmaster, and regularly posts events, upcoming speaker details, the newsletter, and other editing/updating as needed. She also emails out all the public service announcements to central Alberta newspapers, digital news and radio stations re: upcoming events from her own email account. She also handles any inquiries related to these PSA’s.
- Between February 2019 and January 2021, worked on updating the Policies and Procedures manual as well as the RDRN manual, the Standard Operating Procedures Manual and the RDRN history documentation.
- With Myrna Pearman, is Co-Editor of the newsletter, contributes a “Did You Know” column and provides social media stats.
- Since February 2018, has coordinated, with Speaker Coordinator Sally Stuart and Graphic Designer Doug Pedersen, the production of the monthly posters.
- Since April 2021, has sat on the Communications Committee, which produced a new brochure and is currently working to create an updated website.
Susan has been married to her husband Wim for 41 years. They have two daughters Lyndsay (Matt) and Maria (Drew) as well as two granddaughters – Lennon and Violet and one grandson – Lachlan.